Auto-update Drupal core and modules always have been a high demand in Drupal. hopefully, in the Amsterdam 2019 DrupalCon , Automatic Updates modules has been introduced. a great module but in begging on its way. but Automatic updates is a great feature in drupal.
it has been introduced as a contrib module, but it will finally go to the core of Drupal.
as you can see in its page in will developed in two phases.
Phase 1 of the Automatic Updates Initiative
The first phase of the Automatic Updates is separated into two Work Packages, generously sponsored by the European Commission:
Work Package A
- Providing a JSON feed of PSA's from Drupal.org - Stable as of Alpha 1.
- Consuming the PSA JSON feed as alerts in the Drupal admin interface - Stable as of Alpha 1.
- Creating the extensible 'Update readiness check' system and implementing the first readiness checks - Stable as of Alpha 1.
Work Package B
- Creating the 'quasi-patch' system which will generate the automatic update packages - Experimental as of Alpha 2.
- Generating the 'quasi-patches' from Drupal.org - Experimental as of Alpha 2.
- Ensuring the automatic update system can apply the 'quasi-patches' - Experimental as of Alpha 2.
- Securing the automatic update packages from Drupal.org with a hashing and signing architecture - Experimental as of Alpha 2.
I will update this article with more details.
Addtional link: https://youtu.be/Apqd4ff0NRI?list=PLpeDXSh4nHjSZET8xL2RyK3_2WeXxyWkY&t=1968